I went out to Wal-Mart to buy some cheap bulk cereal, snacks, and most importantly a $15 phone. It doesn’t work everywhere but it does get much better reception than my old phone. I put my local SIM card in that one and may continue to use the other as my alarm clock and calendar.
The Canyons had a free meal for employees: spaghetti with the sauce on it. I couldn’t have any (hate tomato sauce) so I ended up not eating much more than some bread and a bit of salad today, but it was free. I spoke to Chris there, who had generously driven me around on my first night in Park City, and saw a few of the people from the party I was at last week.
I also met a lot of new lifties on the buses to and from there, all from different countries. We got off at the liquor store on the way back and I bought a $55 bottle of Ardbeg Single Islay Malt Scotch. I’m kind of regretting not getting the $50 bottle of Laphroaig, which I like better. Ardbeg has a much mellower, more subtle flavor. Those guys invited me to another party but it was pretty late by the time I got back, and I couldn’t talk anyone into coming with me.
I opened the Scotch up in celebration of Josh’s birthday, which Facebook told me is tomorrow. At the house Scott, the new guy, had a funny Southerner friend of his named Brendan over from work. He also enjoyed some of the Scotch. Later on Vanessa had three friends from Latin America (two from Peru) over and we all had a small party until about 0100.
Bit of bad news today: I heard a rumor and had it confirmed by email that staff are "requested" not to ski until Monday the 8th. There will only be one or two runs open and they want to keep those for paying guests only for the opening weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment