Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Training Day Three

This was the last full day of training. For this morning’s meeting they pushed away the tables and crammed us into the little room with many rows of chairs instead. I completely forgot everything that was said about a minute after the meeting was over. I can guess it had to do with bureaucracy and required training?

It was sunny and hot enough that I skied in just sunglasses and took out the inner parts of my gloves. We didn’t ski many free runs today but mostly practiced teaching kids. We led each other around as we would lead a line of beginner students, and taught a longer section of a lesson. I got pretty good feedback on mine though I still felt I could do better, and some of the others did really nice lesson sections as well.

We had a very long lunch that included a meeting led by one of the other trainers, focused on the regulations we need to follow. For example, we can’t take our uniforms home with us or free-ski with them but have to change each morning and afternoon. We can’t say anything negative about the mountain to anyone. If we have private lessons we must hold our skis in our left hand and poles in our right, and when the customer shows up we must transfer our poles to our left hand, walk to them and shake their right hand. My eyes were widening throughout that. I asked a few questions to be sure I understood all that right.

On the final run after class I had my first fall of the season, when I tried to switch around and ski backwards at a decent speed and incline. My slalom skis can’t handle the transition that well, and I made a mess of myself until I slid to a stop. I did manage it better towards the end of the run, where it flattens out more.

Before heading home I exchanged my new glove-liners for the smaller size, which should fit me (and the kids I’ll loan it to) a bit better. I saw the bus coming from the top of the cabriolet and ran down all the steps to reach it. Fortunately, the bus driver was considerate enough to wait for me.

I stopped at the outlet center and found the Columbia store to look for a new jacket. I found one very similar to the one I already have, for half the price of my new pair of pants. It doesn’t have of all the features I wanted (like glove extensions to stop snow from slipping down my wrists when I crash) but I managed to move everything I really need from my old jacket’s pockets to there. I expect that I’ll need all three jackets when I work: One to wear from home to the locker room, my company jacket to teach, and the new one I will try to leave up the mountain so I can get a run or two in after work. I may waste a lot of time moving things between pockets every day.

My calves were already kind of sore, so I used up all the hot water to give them a good long soak in the jacuzzi tub.

2 comments:

Amir Ganani said...

Wow it sure looks like you are working for the government, with all these rules and regs...and Dos and Don'ts...
I guess by "uniforms" you mean only the jacket, but with everything you keep in your pockets, you may need to come up with a routine, so you don't loose anything during the transfer.
Anyway, great reading what is happening, and enjoy the beginning of work next week.
Amir

Nocturnal said...

No, they want us to change pants twice a day as well. There may be loopholes around that so you can free ski with the company pants but your own jacket... But you cannot take the ski pants home, and you can't teach in your own ski pants. The locker room is an open area used by men and women both but I won't care.

I think what I'll end up doing is dividing up the things I normally carry in my pockets and keep whatever I mostly need for ski school (like glove warmers, spare gloves, spare maps and the like) in my staff jacket, and only move the things I most need for myself between jackets. I don't think I can wear my mask to work, so I may leave that in my own jacket up the hill. I can keep a stock of things like tissues in every jacket.

Post a Comment