I got tired of living like a poor person, and after spending the day at the library I treated myself to an all-you-can-eat dinner for $25 (plus tax and tip) at the Flying Sumo, one of the best sushi restaurants in town.
I stuffed myself with seven rolls of sushi, many of which normally go for more than $10 each. I might have been able to fit an eighth one in there but decided to quit when I still felt all right: I ate them more quickly than they could make them. I suspected the sushi-chef was trying to up the ante when he gave me an inside-out roll that was ten big pieces, but the next one was only six.
That meal was delicious and a good value. Too bad that only ran for November, so I can’t enjoy the all-you-can-eat deal again. I’d go there every week. Here are some Israeli tips for eating all-you-can-eat sushi if the Flying Sumo or another sushi place ever does that again:
1. Pace yourself. Finish each roll before ordering the next, so you have some pauses while they roll them. I ordered two at a time. It’s better to have company (I didn’t) so that you can talk in between mouthfuls as well.
2. Start with the mildly flavored sushi and then move on to the spicy ones. After four or five spicy rolls, the plain tuna rolls I ate had no flavor.
3. You may not have stomach space to sample every roll on the menu, so start with the most expensive and elaborate rolls and work your way down. I ate spicy octopus, eel, crab and steak in a fried roll, and something with salmon eggs before the salmon & vegetable sushi.
No comments:
Post a Comment