Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thursday - The Met

Since it had begun raining, I took the opportunity and walked through Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art - "the Met." You can easily spend a whole day in there. I started at European Art, which were many rooms of beautiful and fascinating paintings. After that I moved down to Egyptian Art, where besides the vast collection of artifacts, you can wander into part of a tomb they transplanted brick by brick from Egypt. They also have a whole temple given by the government of Egypt, and it sits surrounded by a banquet hall, an army of waiters, and a moat for some reason. Then I explored... I think I saw just about every section and exhibit there, from ancient Sumerian art to bizarre modern art: one piece of the latter was an array of hexagonal mirrors curved in like a lens. I maneuvered around the whole museum to get to the hidden entrance to the arms & armor section (they blocked the main one.) I think my favorites were the Chinese scrolls of landscape paintings, and some of the later European paintings. I don't think I could really describe very much of it well, but anyone who visits New York for any length of time has to spend a day at the Met. I will not even attempt to do it justice with my poor words.

I think on this evening the couple we’d gone out with brought us their little dog Rosie to doggysit while they went away over the weekend. They would come to take her back on Monday, on her one-year birthday. She liked to slobber on people and got her fur on everything. Now weeks later I am still picking it out of my jacket and belongings. She was very energetic, and tore her tug-o’-war rope to slobber-coated threads over the course of her stay.

Rosie was actually a very well-behaved puppy. She didn’t have any accidents in the house, and she was smart enough to understand concepts like “get off the bed.” When I took her on walks she didn’t make a fuss about going where I wanted to go, though she preferred to explore shops and houses and pick fights with other dogs. I even forgave her for having to clean up her doo.

Shortly after the puppy, Tal arrived from work as a Santa Claus bearing the tiny computer on which I type these words. We brainstormed briefly and decided to name her Pixie (derived from Pixel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment