Tuesday was Rachel’s day off so she showed me around Midtown. We went to Rockefeller Center with the outdoor ice-skating rink, and leaves were falling into it. We went to a big toy store (that sells big toys) called F.A.O. Schwarz, and saw a man demonstrate how to solve a Rubik’s Cube (Hungarian Cube in Hebrew) in a minute and ten seconds. I played on Tom Hanks’s big piano from the film “Big.” We also saw the Radio City music hall where Rachel wanted to drag Tal to a performance of the Rockettes.
Rachel had plans to meet her cousin after showing me around, so she dropped me off at Tal’s offices. He and I went out for lunch to a Japanese grill on a recommendation from his office maid. They served us frosty glasses of Japanese beer so cold that the foam froze. The food was good too.
Tal showed me around Times Square and pointed out where I could buy discount tickets to Broadway shows. He recommended that I see “Avenue Q.” I didn’t buy a ticket to the evening show, but went to the “Top of the Rock” to take in the views of the city while there was still good light and visibility. I took some panoramic photos and looked around with my binoculars. I’d bought a skyline map for $2, and resold it for $1 to an old couple up there because it was worthless.
I spent the rest of the day just walking around. I went east until I hit the Hudson river, and walked alongside it all the way back to their street. I believe we just lazed around and watched TV in the evening. Thanks to the efforts of my hosts, this was clearly my best sightseeing day. I don't like big cities, but I began to truly appreciate the charm of Manhattan.
No comments:
Post a Comment