Friday, January 23, 2009

Tech Museum

It was rainy and I got up after noon so I put off my planned visit to San Francisco. Instead I went to San Jose but I didn’t even leave for there until 1630, after three episodes of “Dr. Who” on TV and uploading pictures to my journal.

Before entering the museum I dined at Rokko, a Japanese restaurant near there. They had a dinner special that includes a taste of everything for $16 with the tax. It’s a really good deal: edamame, miso shiru, gyoza, teriyaki chicken, shrimp tempura, tuna and salmon sashimi, salad, rice, and green tea. I was pleasantly surprised at the portions. They didn’t give me any utensils besides chopsticks so I drank the miso in the traditional manner. When I eat alone I eat too fast and had to deal with a struggling stomach for a short time during the Leonardo exhibit.

I followed the free tour group as they went through there but avoided staying with them. The exhibit of Leonardo da Vinci and his contemporaries is fascinating, especially for all its working models of gear-based Renaissance machines. I tried to avidly look over everything; it’s a pretty big exhibit as you’d expect for a consummate genius. The rest of the museum I felt was not as interesting, but I spent many hours in there making sure I saw everything. I even did a simplified genetic engineering experiment (transferring bioluminescence jellyfish plasmids into bacteria, though they didn't use any of those words) that Roy just did in school too. Some of the exhibits were familiar to me, like the robots that spell words or draw pictures. I didn’t leave until after 2300!

I was not aware that the museum only validated parking for two hours, less than the time it takes to go thoroughly through the Leonardo exhibit alone. They charged me $7 for the parking. I got back quickly as by now I already know all the correct turns I need to take, even though it was so pitch-black around here I thought there might have been a power outage.

No comments:

Post a Comment