Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sausalito & Pier 39

Today I went to San Francisco in the afternoon. The drive on highway 280 was actually pretty nice: leading up to the Half Moon Bay it was green hills with mist dipping down from the clouds to touch them.

Aliza and Raanan advised me to go to Sausalito and have a hamburger there at a particular hamburger joint. They spoke to Tom on the phone and he guessed exactly what they’d advised me to do. It was decent but not as good as Big Nick’s in Manhattan and certainly not worth making the trip especially: they didn’t even ask me how I wanted my burger. The town is nice enough and the drive through San Francisco to there shows diverse views of the city.

Aliza also recommended that I take a left before Sausalito to a high vantage point on that side of the Golden Gate Bridge. I had to wait for a 5-minute stoplight at a single-lane tunnel but I found the viewpoint, which was an old coastal gun battery overlooking that monument.

I crossed the bridge again and decided not to go through the winding part of Lombard street but rather followed the signs to the wharf. I parked somewhere near Pier 39. It’s more like an amusement park than a pier: a real tourist trap, where everything costs two or three times what it should. I stepped into a shop of music boxes and looked at funny stickers at the magic shop next door to it. I bought a churro and ate it while watching a mediocre stage magician’s show.

The drive back along the marina is rather scenic, and I took a photo of the Bay Bridge and rolled the top down on my car. A couple of street musicians at Pier 39 gave out their CDs for free. It’s only three songs but now I have something to listen to in the car.

Aliza and Raanan had friends over for dinner so I hastened to get back, and having budgeted much more time to get lost than I needed, I returned too early. Smadar and Yoav came over for dinner and coffee afterwards. It was very pleasant; Raanan went all out making many side dishes for the fine filet steaks he grilled on the barbeque.

No comments:

Post a Comment