I didn’t get to sleep until after 0300 because the party went on late and got louder as people got drunker. I got up at 0500 to have a cup of coffee and eat the last of my perishable food for breakfast.
Transportation is expensive. I walked down to the supermarket at 0600 and froze out there until my fingers got so cold I went into the supermarket to defrost. I took a picture of my breath. The shuttle was meant to arrive at 0600 but actually arrived at 0635. I didn’t see it, called the company, and they said it couldn’t find me and went on because I didn’t hear my phone when they called me. They said they’d put me on the 700 shuttle though I said I’d probably miss my flight if it arrived at 0730. In fact, a taxi arrived at 0711 and called me. He drove fast and got to the airport in less than half an hour, but charged me $65 for it instead of $24.
Having arrived by 0740 I had plenty of time to print out my boarding pass at the self-service kiosk and go through the invasive and sometimes downright stupid security process. The air in the plane was stifling and I got a headache but I felt better after a cup of orange juice and some water, and a tiny bag of peanuts that I downed in one go like a shot of cheap tequila.
I rented a car for a week so that I can be independent out here. I shopped around at most of the companies at the airport to find the best deal: it was $133 for the week but with the most basic insurance, a full tank of fuel, and taxes, it came out to about $338. I was incredibly stupid for not taking it in the package with the plane ticket, because it would only have been a few extra dollars and this way the car cost me more than the plane. Next time I fly, if I think there might even be the slightest chance of wanting to use a rental car to get from the airport to my destination, I will just take it. It was an expensive lesson.
The cheapest car I found was a Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible. It’s a cute little car; I like that it says the compass direction I’m bearing on the dashboard. Raanan gave me precise instructions and I followed them on the map last night, so I had no trouble getting to their house.
The mansion is as grand as I expected and they were most hospitable. I took a nap for the afternoon and talked with Gal and Roy when they got home. We also played video games together. Raanan cooked a good dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment