Our cheap extended-stay hotel is kind of what you'd expect: everything is the cheapest possible; pillows like the ones in the airplane, a thin hard mattress, blinds that don't keep any light out, and every appliance makes a lot of noise. And the walls are paper-thin; any time somebody opens or shuts a door nearby it sounds like it's our door. I still didn't have any trouble sleeping. They do clean it thoroughly after every resident and the halls reek of cleaning materials. The toilet backed up the first time I used it, and I had to borrow a plunger and a floor rag to fix it and clean up. We paid $10 extra for "high speed" (really slow) internet, but it's only by Ethernet cable plugged into the wall. Fortunately my girlfriend is something of a technological genius and set us up a wireless network so I can type this up on the bed. I could never accomplish that so quickly.
My girlfriend is taking very good care of me as I am pretty sick. She brought me a sack of medicines and syrups for sore throat and cough, a lot of green tea, some food, and dishes and utensils to cook with. We have a nice little kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator and microwave, but the place does not provide any dishes. While L was at work teaching, I watched some Olympic downhill skiing on TV, and took a walk to buy Airborne placebo, and cookies. My job was to make a list of things we needed to buy, and when my lady got back we went to get some groceries. Then we went out to meet L's friend and her boyfriend for dinner.
We were going to have dinner at a pizza place they frequent, but I found nothing there I could eat. So they agreed to go to a bar down the road that serves good hamburgers. That was fun - L's friends are great. I couldn't talk much because I coughed all the time. I mainly laughed and smiled at the jokes.
Along with the groceries I bought a kilo sack of Skittles. We did a blind taste test to see if I can tell the flavors apart without and sense of smell. I did more poorly than random chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment